Monday, July 8, 2013

June 16, 1943




Jefferson Barracks
("Misery" 
"That's what I mean")
June 16, 1943 

Dear Mother;

Don't take the heading too hard.  It really is not so bad hear (sic) but everyone but the natives cuss the weather and wish they were in some nice cool climate.  It is not so much the heat as it is the high humidity.  Nothing really dries unless you wear it.  The rain comes in cloud bursts and runs off the ground in rivers leaving little gullies that have to be filled.  The rain comes in at such high speed that you get no warning.

Congratulate Mary for me for graduating from high school.  She sure must be glad.  I know that I was glad.

Gee I wish I would get a letter.  Here, a week after my arrival and posting of my first letter, I still have received no letter.  I admit that I have missed writing 2 days, but some of the fellows have received mail 3 times.  Well, I expect some tonight and I will be happy.

Yesterday night we got some more injections. They are not so bad at first but now I am having trouble with one arm and have a slight case of Typhoid Fever.  I would sure hate to get the real thing if this is anything like it.  We didn't have any hard work but some of the fellows collapsed on the march and in their cabins.  It is really tough on them.

I have a chance to buy a new watch from $26.50 at the main P.X.  If I had the money I would buy it.  It retails in Civilization for $45.  It is a Swiss 17 jewel watch.  Do you think I should buy it?

With Love
Austin


{The watch may have looked something like thisthis or this.}

No comments:

Post a Comment