Wednesday, July 10, 2013

June 21, 1943

Pvt Austin Rounds
Squadron C
29th Training Group
Jefferson Barracks, Mo.

Mrs. Albert P. Rounds
15 Wilson Road
Stoneham, Mass

Jefferson Barracks
Missouri
June 21, 1943

Dear Mother;

It is getting harder and harder to write letters.  This one is being written by a street light as I find time to write now only after "lights out".  They are getting tougher and tougher out here.  We must now fall out always with shoes shined even when you have gotten mud all over them an hour before.  I have just read my mail as this is now the only free time I get.  We had to scrub the floor tonight on our own time and it took most of the time after supper except for 1/2 an hour singing with a group composed of enlisted men and W.A.A.C.'s.  I got there late and the singing lasted till dark. I then made my bed in the dark after 9:00 and decided I could now read my letters and correspond.  If you don't get a letter once in a while it will be because I just can't find time.  I will try.

Today we had some more gas drill.  We were also given a smell of all the major gases.  You might say that I was really gased (sic) because I was nearly choked on some Lewecite (sic) gas.  It burnt my nose and throat.  It took about 3 hours to really feel good again.
Warning poster used to help soldiers identify gases.  See more here.

Colds are really going around camp now.  I got one and everyone in the hut has one.  I thought I was getting over mine until after the gas.  Most of the kids go to the dispensary and get fixed up. They really do a good job.

Tomorrow we go into the tear gas chamber.  This is going to be something new.  There is really no danger and is really a test of equipment and the person.  My gas mask fits very well and I won't have trouble.  We stay in the chamber for 10 min. with an instructor.  We are then required to take off the mask, take a breath and walk out.  That will make the tears run for a short time but that is all.

Tomorrow I am eligible for my first pass to St. Louis.  I can take it or wait and try for a week and pass for Saturday and Sunday.  I will try to get in touch with Harold and see if he has any ideas on the subject.

If you could send some soap I am sure I could use it.  Although the water is not always cold it is safe to say that it will be cold most of the time.  The trouble is about 1000 men want showers before supper.  When they have all taken them the steam is pretty well down and the next real hot water comes in the morning.

As I wrote in the letter before I will send my coat home the first time I get a suitable box.  Now!  if you could send some candy and cake and good things, and soap and such in a big box I am sure the coat will go home by return mail.  Don't send the bag back until I ask for it as we must not keep it where it can be seen.

As I think of the stuff at home I can't think of much I will need for quite a while.  Mary/William can use some of the stuff.  As for the junk in general just put it anywhere out of the way.

Don't send the Boston Herald even though I don't see it or any part of it.  Our day room was taken over by the office staff and we can not use it.  We see the St. Louis paper everyday and get most of teh news for it.  I don't have time anyway.  I almost called up last Sunday but found that it would have taken more than 3 hours to get a call through.  I would have to call at 12:00 to get you at 1:00.  That's another thing that is funny.  Hearing Bob Hope at 9:00 instead of 10:00, Baby Snooks at 7:00 rather than 8:00 etc.  It just isn't right.

Mary probably told you that I went to church Sunday.  I really wished that I was home rather than 1200 miles away.  The chaplain seems to be a swell fellow.

The food out here is nothing to talk about but it is hardy and fattening.  While we were being processed, that was before we began to work, I gained about 8 lbs.  I guess I have lost most of that in the last day or two.  We swet (sic) every where we go.  Yesterday I tried to write Mary's letter in my bunk and just couldn't stand the water dripping off my arms.  However I am beginning to get used to it and I expect I won't mind it in a few more days.  

I looked up my friend Dick Moir yesterday and he sure was glad to see me.  He was also glad to see someone from school and especially that picture. The whole gang down there got a great kick out of that even the fellows who had their picture taken.

It is really getting so late that I shouldn't stay up any later.  William will get his letter soon but not tonight.  I am too tired.  The 1 3/8 mile run and the obstical (sic) course leave you with very little pep.

With Love
Austin

Don't forget the eye drops!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment