Tuesday, July 9, 2013

June 26, 1943

It's the Navy, not the Army, but the idea is the same.



Jefferson Barracks
Missouri
June 26, 1943

Dear Mother;

As you have noticed I haven't written in the last few days.  The only reason is that I have been too tired to write.  Thursday we got K.P. and that is no cinch.  We got up at 3:15 a.m. and washed, shined our shoes, and made our beds.  We then fell out (3:30) in formation and marched to the chow house.  Once there we were assigned duties to do all day and duties during meals.  I drew an easy job during meals, just counting on a meter the fellows as they come in and directing them to their seats.  We fed about 2500 fellows (45 of us).  We washed and cleaned the place until it shone.  I helped wash the floor 3 times, all the tables and benches 3 times and in general helped all around.  The fellows that had the really tough job were the ones who shoveled garbage and ran the "clipper" (the dish wash).  They swet (sic) like no one ever saw.

{This song might describe his sentiments appropriately.  Go to 11:20 through 12:05}

After cleaning the place and everything in it for the third time they let us go.  They gave us a reward of a bar of ice cream.  A heck of a pay for a days work.  It was 7:15 at night and we went home, took a shower and went to bed.  Everyone was too tired to do anything.

We also got the good news that on Friday we would get a 7 mile hike.  When we lined up we had our gas masks, because they are carried every Friday, and a pack that weighed about 25 lbs.  It didn't weigh too much then but after the 1st mile it weighed a ton.  Too make it worse we had to wear the gas mask for 1/2 hour.  The gas mask cuts the efficiency of a man 50%.  You can guess how glad we were to get them off.  When you take them off you feel like you have run a couple of miles and you are breathing very deeply.

I am still wondering why someone did not pass out.  We marched in the middle of the day in the hottest sun you ever saw.  Everyone was soaked when they got home and again worn out.  I just couldn't write last night.

I have found out one thing.  You just can't keep clean clothes in a place like this.  When you think of sitting in the shade and being tickled by the water running down your neck, chest, back and arms, you can imagine what happens when you exert yourself.  We have only 2 class A uniforms (list) and one is in the cleaners 1 week  while you wear the other.  You can imagine what it looks like after a few nights.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I hope to get to the St. Louis with Harold. He came down to see me the other night and I made a date with him so we could go in together.  I guess he can show me around.  You know he has fallen in love again a couple of times in St. Louis, one down South and again out here.  He doesn't waste time.

Oh! to be back in Mass.  It is sure going to be heaven to get back to a climate where I don't swet.  I guess I just never worked hard at home (Remember Whittemores).

Everything is getting tougher.  We get up earlier 4:45 and work harder.  Intervals to shine shoes and G.I. the hut have been cut to the extent that you do everything in a hurry.  When you forget something (a sleeve not buttoned) you loose (sic) privileges.  If you go back to button that sleeve you practice falling out on the double for an hour.  It is no fun when you have to run the length of the street to do it.

I have just heard a rumor that we will ship out in 4 days.  It is just a rumor and there are a hundred like it around.  I am not planning to get out of here till I get on the train and even then they can turn back.  We have no idea where we'll go but we do know that we will go to school.

I suppose I could tell you about the fellows in our group that was in the R.C.A.R. {ed notepossibly RCAFwho has shot down 3 German planes but I have very little space and time.  It is 10:00 and I will go to bed.

Please thank Mary for the yearbook.  I will write her later.

With Love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment