Friday, July 12, 2013

July 6, 1943

June 6, 1943
{Has he forgotten the date?}


Dear Mother,

I didn't write yesterday because we were on K.P. and were restricted after we got through.  They made us get up at 3:50 a.m. and that is an early hour even around here.  It was late even so, we had to fall out right away.  The hut was a mess and we were restricted.  We really didn't feel like doing anything but we had to G.I. the hut before we could go away.

Tonight we are going to throw a party!  Most everyone including me (many thanks) got food from home.  We are going to break a few rules that say you can't have bottles in the huts, but going to the P.X. and buy soft drinks bringing them back and eating and drinking.  The only trouble is that we have a lot of work to do before a special inspection tomorrow at 5:30.  Something always wrecks the parties and makes them difficult to hold.  I am trying to write early so that I can have some fun.

I got the box today at the noon mail call.  I expected it but I didn't know what to expect.  I guess you collaborated on it.  Pop must have sent the peanuts and you and someone else the soap and cookies.  They are really good.  We are going to use the cookies tonight and I want to use the soap also but even so I doubt if I will have time.  My clothes are dirty but I may get some clean ones from the laundry.

I should tell you something about the meals.  Aside from the weather meals are the main topic of conversation.  Of course our mess hall is really pretty bad in the way of cleanliness and the mess officer doesn't seem to care to much but lets talk about the food.  Now, in the morning you get 2 little bottles  

{the second page of the letter is missing}

They probably hoped the party would be something like this.

It was probably a lot more like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment