Wednesday, July 10, 2013

June 30, 1943

Jefferson Barracks
Missouri
June 30, 1943

Dear Mother;

I try to read your letters as soon as possible and write an answer.  Often it is hard to do just that but for once I have found time before supper to write.  This is not written by street light as most of my letters.

I have bought a book on aircraft spotting.  It shows views of both Amer. and Jap planes.  William might be interested in some of the models we see once in a while.  These are not models made by civilians but are a cast plastic and are much better than other models.  They are cast to size.  As yet we have had no instruction in aircraft identification and we don't expect it for some time.

About that business in the Sat. Eve. Post of the PX's, I haven't had a chance to read it.  Each week one of the boys on the Post comes around and sells them.  Each time I buy one and set it away in my foot locker.  I have read only 2 articles in the 3 magazines I have bought.  I am glad you brought it to my attention.

I don't know whether I wrote or not about our day room.  We are about the only ones in camp without a day room.  Our room was taken over and everything removed to make way for an office staff who does a little of the work on the red tape the army is wrapped up in.  Down the street they have a room with pool tables, books, soft drinks, easy chairs, tables and everything to make you comfortable.  It is really the place to go after dark if you have nothing else to do.

I went to St. Louis Sunday.  It is really quite a place.  It takes about 1 hour and 15 min. to get in and, out it takes longer because it seems every soldier comes home at the same time.  I didn't get a guide to the city as I didn't know just where to find one but I will get one if it is possible.  St. Louis people are so nice they will tell you anything you want to know or do anything for you.  At the U.S.O you can get all kinds of things and invitations to churches and organizations.  Everyone has a wonderful time and most everyone goes back.

Harold was the one who saw to it that I got started in the right direction.  We got separated just before we got on the first bus.  I was stopped by an M.P. who was checking up on the fellows leaving from the 29th.  We had to show some identification and I had only a Mass. driving license.  I thought sure I would miss the bus, Harold and my first chance to get out of the camp.  He did not go all the way with me but went to his girl friends house.  He sure has it bad.  I don't think he is a wolf however.  He is a lady's man alright.

We see a report of temperatures every once in a while in the St. Louis papers.  I guess you have had some real hot weather.  Our hot spell is broken and I slept under 2 blankets last night.  It was cold all day and a swell breeze flew.  I didn't swet at all today even when we drilled 2 hours, had conditioners for 2 hours, and ran the obsticle (sic) course and 1 3/8 miles.  I think I could like it here if it wasn't for the food.  Now we eat in a mess that is a mess. The plates and silver are greasy.  This is something I am not used to.  

Your letters seem to arrive in pretty good time.  The letter you wrote June 26 came today in the mail call at 11:00.  I keep writing about things that I have written before.  I don't know just what I have written about.  I can't realize sometimes how long it takes to get mail home and back.  Sometimes my letters must be rather incoherent because of the hurry I write them in and partly because these guys are always making a heck of a racket.  I sign off now.

With love,
Austin



No comments:

Post a Comment