Friday, July 12, 2013

June 28, 1943

Jefferson Barracks
Missouri
June 28, 1943

Dear Mary;

I first want to thank you for the letters and of course the yearbook.  It certainly is the best one I have ever seen.  I like very much that last bunch of pictures that were taken by everyone.  I recognized that picture of Jack and Maryanne. I like that picture of "Doc" and "Wild Bill" Miller.  The book was especially interesting to the fellow from Woburn as he knew some of the fellows in your class.

Of course they wanted to see your picture.  They were a very surprised bunch when I showed it to them.  They couldn't see how I could have such a nice looking sister.  You better look out or you maybe getting letters from the bunch.  The only trouble is they all have steady girl friends.  They were really amazed at your picture.  My G.I. haircut must make me look like an ugly duckling. {For a few pictures of Mary, check out the Family Pictures tab at the top of the blog}

I hope you haven't forgotten that box you were going to send along with mother.  Most of the fellows have received boxes from home and I have been eating goodies of from them.  I really must repay them some way.  Most of the boxes have candy but some have things I have never seen.  For instance one had stuffed prunes.  They were stuffed with nuts and some kind of candy.  Once we got some real Italian candy.  It was very sweet, almost like saccarin. Another time we got some cakes with frosting all over them.  All these were really good.  Probably the box is on the way anyway.
Stuffed prunes? 


I went to St. Louis yesterday. It was really great but is nothing like Boston. It is the most incoherent city I have seen yet.  You see a beautiful building like the city hall and almost 1/2 a minute walk from it you find a slum district.  That is the way with everything I saw there, a very beautiful place bordered by a poor section with old down-and-out men in the streets.

We went to the main U.S.O. and had one heck of a time.  They do everything they can to make you feel at home. Free cookies are on tables but you have to buy all your own drinks.  The U.S.O. provides music, entertainment, reading, writing matter, and girls.  The girls are what most of the fellows wanted to see after being in camp for 2 weeks.  Every once in a while an announcement came over the loud speaker saying that 4 boys or 3 boys were wanted for a tour through St. Louis or some boy would be taken to supper by someone, or a party is being given to honor someones birthday. They had pool, billiards and all kinds of games.  There is nothing that you can't do.  I only got mad once.  I had fun shooting at airplanes and had a terrific scare when they played the National Anthem.  Of course I had to stand at attention and watch 8 flights out of 15 go by giving me just a fairly good score.  I had a wonderful time and I will go back when I go to S.L. again.

Thank you Norman Rockwell for expressing it like no one else could.

We left the U.S.O. and went to get supper.  We went into a little place and really got taken in.  I payed 83 cents for a terrible supper.  We had chicken friend in oil (tasted like motor oil) greasy mashed potato, a terrible mixture of vegetables, a good tomato salad and greasy spaghetti. The silver just lid through your hands and the dishes looked bad. I won't go in there again.  It's a wonder I wasn't poisoned.

I am sending to you and Mother some pamthlets that I picked up in the Jefferson Hotel.  You may be interested so when you come to see me you will know where to stay.  The hotel was a really beautiful place and we just wandered around to see what we could see.  We walked into a ballroom that has floor shows down near where the people eat and a stage in back just like the pictures in the movies.  It must have been very expensive. I also got the coldest drink of water I ever had. It made my lips numb.




Sure would love to find room rates like this today

I saw a little of the Mississippi in St. Louis.  Here at J.B. we have to walk 1 1/2 miles to see the river.  Near shore it is really muddy and out near the middle almost blue.  I have never seen anything like it.  Where we are it is about 1/4 mile across but in many places it widens out more than that.  On the other edge it seems to have trees growing in it but that must be because the water is still high and has not left the low land by the river.  No matter where you look you will find something floating in it.  If it is not a tree it may be a branch or a box or can or most anything.  I don't know whether the reason for the stuff in the river was the flood a couple of weeks ago or it is that way always.  It is really a mighty river.  I could only get a 1:00 a.m. pass or I would have taken a trip down the river on the "Admiral", a river pleasure boat.  You may see a picture of it in that group I sent home.      

Not his picture, but a postcard found from about that time period.
The Admiral sailed the river all the way up until it was sold for scrap in 2011.


We have changed our eating place and what a change.  The food is terrible and the silver and trays look half washed, grease on everything.  There are flies everywhere and the table and chairs are a mess.  What a messy mess hall.  I feel that I can now complain about the food.  ( I just heard the "Admiral" whistle about 1/2 a mile away by the crow flies)  We really were fed well in the other place.

We went to camouflage school today.  It is really wonderful how they hide things the way they do.  Guns, trucks, tanks, and everything in general can be concealed from observation from airplanes at a reasonable height.  They also showed us the best way to conceal onesself in battle.  They use everything available that is natural like trees, shrubs, rocks and attempt to break up shadows and shadow effects.  It is one of the most interesting subjects we have studied.

Well I don't know what to do.  I have some washing to do but I am to tired so I guess I will let it go until tomorrow.  I may not have to do it then.  You really don't have time for everything.  However I will try to write again sometime.

With love,
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment