Thursday, November 20, 2014

November 20, 1944

Roswell Field
Nov. 20, 1944

Dear Mother:

This letter will have to be very short and sweet.  I hope it gets out in the morning mail.  My coming home for Thanksgiving was just a lot of wishful thinking as it turned out.  I am sorry that I got your hopes up but I had not intended to.  As the schedule was posted we should have finished up here but that is not the case.  We fly on Thursday just like any other day and have a celebration that evening here on the post.  I am very sorry to have gotten you excited but it would mean a lot to me to get home.  I guess all I can say is that other things stand in the way.  Just think of me and I shall think of you all. Let me wish everyone a very thankful Thanksgiving because we all have a lot to be thankful for.
I received one of the firstest and bestest Christmas presents yet. I refer to the Home Fronts small but wonderful effort.  I will write to them personally and see that they get their just reward which could not be enough.  I think they made a perfect choice when they sent that little folder.  I will think of their efforts for a long time to come.

This will have to do till tomorrow when I will write again.  You are not being slighted but just put off in the regular Rounds fashion; but only put off till tomorrow when I can write.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment