Friday, November 14, 2014

November 14, 1944

Roswell Field
Nov. 14, 1944

This flying 5 hours a day is beginning to wear me down.  We have to get up tomorrow morning for another siege so this letter can't be too long.  We solo out tomorrow if nothing happens.

I am sure Mrs. Blaisdell would like most anything I could send.  I think a calendar would be very good because it can be hung up out of the way and not get stumbled over in their tiny house.  Please send what you think would fit the occasion because I am sure they would be glad to receive something from me even though she won't mention anything.

So you are wondering where my money goes.  I am sure I have little idea where it goes myself.  I have threatened to keep track of it but I just never get around to it.  However I have $200 right now which will come home next month.  Actually we have a lot of expenses and if it were not for the extra $75 a month I don't know how I could save much.  We get $246 a month out of which comes $35 a month board, $18 for a bond, $6 insurance and another couple for Red class or War Funds whatever they happen to have.  We also have Officer's Club dues and fees which run into $10 a month.  That takes 1/3 of my pay before I even get started.  Then we go to movies and to town and eat steaks and just plain ordinary pleasures.  Now I have received officer's pay 3 times and sent home $300 besides the $200 I have now.  Now if you add it all up you will find I have spent right now about $25 on actual pleasures in the last 3 months.  Of course I had a little when I started in  but that went into traveling which cost about $200.  Now you tell me where it all went.  I forgot to say we have cleaning and laundry bill.

Well I am beginning to want to see home again.  I sure would like to see some snow and some real snappy weather.  I saw Pop's picture in the paper and I did show it around.  I don't think much of that picture you sent.  I guess I should never had it sent up.  That reminds me that some day I must have another taken before I leave here.

I have been thinking about Christmas and need some suggestions.  Please send the powder in the next box.  I can always use it!!!?  We are still trying to get the paper off the taffy in the last box. 

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment