Monday, November 10, 2014

November 10, 1944

Roswell Field
Nov. 10, 1944

Dear Mother:

I have missed my chance to go to the movies and see "For Whom the Bell Tolls" so I am writing this letter before going to bed.  We fly the early mission tomorrow so it is early to bed if early to rise.

For Whom the Bell Tolls Trailer

This letter may reach you a day ahead of A.P.'s in which I stated I hope I pass my instrument check.  Well I came through by the grace of someone and the check rider so I guess I have a chance of getting through all right here.

Today we went up and shot landing all day.  About half were 2 and 3 engine landings and very strenuous.  You really need all the P.T. we have been taking the last year or two (it seems).  Anyway I am about worn out and feel like getting some "sack time".

We have had 10 hours of flying in 18 so you can see how tired I should be.

We are really having some fun now.  This is hard work but not so intense and never racking as instrument flying.  We also have a chance to make solo lands soon so we are kind of looking forward to the day.  It will come soon if we don't wear out sooner.

I am learning a lot about N.E. chance in Post War Aviation from your clippings.  It seems quite possible that some day Boston will again be the center of world transportation as it was 50 years ago. If so I guess fellows in my shoes may have a chance to make something of all the training they are acquiring along the way.  It is so valuable I can't see how it can be wasted.  It seems to be one of the best sources of ready made pilots who should by all authorities become the pilots of tomorrow.  Even so I am pretty new at this game as is most everyone here.  Thousands of hours are needed instead of hundreds such as I have.

I can remember when I used to look up at the airplanes that went over and wonder what kind of a man could fly them.  I could not visualize a common ordinary everyday man up there but rather someone who was a hero and had hero all over him.  He was always someone far away and never someone next door.  I could never recognize a pilot because it did not especially show on him.  He was no superman but rather probably a quiet spoken person who didn't think too much about the admiration of others.  His flying was like our driving and he probably admired our driving.  Yes everyone on this field who flies the B17 could have flown those DC-3s and we have some awful seedy looking pilots.  We have some boys also who look like hot pilots.

Well I don't have much to write about.  Nothing much happens.  We have no accidents to talk about.  I could gripe about the food because it is getting rather poor but I am gaining weight again and weigh 185 so I guess the food situation won't get much sympathy.  We get P.T. regularly and classes fill in our spare time so we are pretty much on the go.  Time flies so that we seem to be constantly getting ready for the weekends. They have a little snow up in the mts now so we are going to see it at our first convenience.  Class 44-4-J is here and ready to fly next week so what else can I say.  I guess I have run out of gab and paper.

With love
Austin.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's cool we are getting to see what Grandpa thinks of pilots now that he is one.

    ReplyDelete