Wednesday, October 15, 2014

October 15, 1944

Roswell Field
Oct 15, 1944

Dear Mother:

I am not specially short of time but have several more letters to write so I guess I shall have to make this just a gesture.

Friday night I met Richard Hunt Lt Sg of the Navy.  He was in a small hotel and I happened to notice him and thought he looked familiar.  He was rather surprised to see me and I guess a little glad.  we had a short talk and he told me that he was on his way to the West Coast.  I just can't imagine what he was doing in Roswell unless he was going through by car.  Anyway I had a pretty nice chat with him.

I guess the same day you wrote me last you also addressed a letter to me from a Mrs. Thompson of Tenn.  Now I was as much surprised to get that letter and just as curious as you must have been.  Who in the world did I know down there.  Well it was the former Barbara Colburn.  She is married to a recent graduate in the Air Corp and wanted to compare notes with me.  So I gave her a big line and cock and bull story which she will probably swallow hook line and sinker unless her husband gets hold of the letter.  He is at present going through a B24 school down there.  How I pity him.  Know You Know!!!???

Well I have been thinking of your plight, a poor woman with nothing to keep her mouth working (except a poor excuse for a dog) so I am sending along some of the only gum I could buy.  If you don't like it you can give it to some one else.  However if you are as bad off as you state you will keep this gift a secret or chew it all at once so you can have it all.

I am glad Mary is enjoying school.  I hope the newness of it will not wear off and leave her disappointed.  If she needs any money or anything like that please tell her to ask for it.  The next money order I send home will probably be for about $200 or more.  I have little need for all the money I am making.

Well keep me informed of the latest developments.  You know you should notify people of all my changes of address.

Hurriedly With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment