Saturday, October 4, 2014

October 4, 1944


Roswell Field
Oct. 4, 1944

Dear Mother:

This will be the last letter for several days as we are about to go on an 8 day week here with no breaks.  Classes will run 9 hours a day and after eating and cleaning up the room there will not be time for much else.

I am going to write a few other people tonight so don't be surprised at the shortness of this letter.  I kind of feel that I am going to leave the world for a couple of days.  I guess it isn't that bad.

We are getting very good meals here.  In fact they compare very well with what we had during Cadet days.  They cost a flat rate of $35 a month.  This is not too bad compared with what we paid at Luke.  At least they are not going to make your stay here miserable but let you concentrate on the things at hand.  the schedule is much too tough to have a lot else on your hands.

I live in a small room with one buddy who is a Texas boy.  His name is Rollins and a swell fellow.  There are two to a room and plenty of room for us; two chairs, tables, lamps, lockers, shells, and everything.  Things are going to be very comfortable.

I hope you have disregarded my last letters because I have been so discouraged by what has happened.  I guess when I get to work things will get a little brighter.

I haven't received one Independent since I returned from home.  Maybe my subscription has run out or maybe they have just got lost.  Please look into the situation.

I got two letters from you today so I now understand the box situation.  I was getting a little impatient but I guess it will be along soon.  I hope so because it is cold here and that (pinks and greens) are about to become the uniform of the day and I will have to have them.  I am sorry I didn't know what part William had in the ring.  He seems to hold the bag most of the time putting in the money and getting none of the thanks.  Please thank him for me.  I guess I kind of take him for granted too much and should write more often.
Pinks and greens

You also said that Mary's gift had not arrived.  I guess instead of sending it Airmail as I directed they have sent it regular mail and it is taking longer than I expected.  However I am worried about it and if it doesn't come soon I shall write and see what can be down about it.  Maybe I shall be stuck.

I shall close now and write to the Blaisdells.  Erma did not have what the doctors all thought for a while.  She has dyptheria or something.  At least she doesn't have to worry about the effects of polio. Mrs. Blaisdell was so good to me I hated to leave.  If Fred B ever comes to Stoneham I want him to stay in my bed.  That could not be too much of him.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment