Sunday, August 31, 2014

August 31, 1944

Aug 31, 1944

Dear Mother:

I just haven't thought to write lately and I don't know how long it has been since the last letter.  Anyway there has not been a lot to report on latest developments.

The biggest news yet; the news that has prompted me to write this letter, is that we go to Gila Bend tomorrow instead of the 10th as was expected.  We go on D.S.* so my address will not be changed.  We are going to get 10-14 days of gunnery so I will be getting some flying again.  We had a special meeting today and we were told that we had 1 hour to get a parachute and that we had only this evening to get ready.  I have a B-4 bag so I can pack all my chino's in the bag and leave my good uniforms here and not get them wrinkled.
*D.S. means Detached Service.

I went to see the Blaisdells Sunday (yesterday) and had a swell time riding all over the country South of Phoenix.  We went looking for a large irrigation dam and a swell lake to swim in.  We found the dam and went swimming in a very swift river.  After swimming for a while we went to look for the lake and mud to my astonishment we found a lake out here as pretty as most any back in the East.  Of course there were no trees around it except desert almost to the edge but it was nice and sandy and very shallow for almost a 1/4 of a mile out.  It was in a kind of canyon and we had come in over the dry riverbed that feeds it.  The water was clean and blue.  I guess if you decide to come out you had better see one of these lakes.

The lake was in what I would call a reservation and we came in on an old dirt road about 15 miles long.  All along the road flocks of quail flew up. There were herons and some other long legged birds around in the river along with some very large ducks.  We also saw some Jack Rabbits and (wolves). It really was a swell day and everything went fine until one of Irma Blaisdell's friends decided to sit on my lap and uncreased my pants so I have had to send them to the cleaners.  But it was well worth while.  The B's are so swell to me I can't really thank them enough for what they do.

I went to a dance Saturday and met another girl.  I danced until 12 PM with her and then went to a dance called the Swing Shift Dance from 1:30 till 5:00 AM.  We got so tired of dancing we went out to a riding school to go riding in the moonlight.  The place is supposed to be open all night but the man in charge must have been in a sleep because we got him out of the wrong side of his bunk.  He wanted to know what people do all night long so that they could get out there and wake him up at 4:00 o'clock.  We went for an hour ride which is the most unromantic thing you can possibly do.  We had asked for tame horses but we didn't want to have to hold a carrot in front of them so they would go.  All they seemed to live for was to get to the end of the trail so they could run home, but not run fast, just fast enough to shake everything loose and warm the seat of your pants.  If I should go again I will ask for a decent horse.

We go to Phoenix at 6:30 just in time for a big fire and I finally got to bed at 8:00 and got up at 9:30 to clean up and meet the Blaisdells.  I guess I have a new record on sleep for one night.

I haven't got much else to say except that I am looking forward to getting to Gila Bend.  When I begin to get some more work I will be satisfied.  I will also get my flying pay.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment