Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August 26, 1944

Aug. 26, 1944

Dear Mother:

There is not much to do this weekend so I am sitting out a few at the dance here to write.  I should be enjoying the Phoenix night-life but that doesn't appeal too much to me at present.

So far I have had no change in orders although many of the others have.  We now have some more Flight Officers in our group and some of our original men have been removed for instructor and utility flying.  They are not considered to have gotten the breaks.  As yet my luck still holds and someday I may get a chance to ride in a hot ship.  If I do I certainly will be thrilled.  You can't imagine how much fun it will be.

Tomorrow is Sunday and I will go to church with my buddy Lt. Smith.  We will have to get up early (10:00 AM) to get there on time but that is not too much of a hardship.  Afterwards I will call the Blaisdell's house and see what they will like to do.  Maybe I can give them a little fun out at Sky Harbor Airport.  Maybe they don't trust me?  Would you?  It is pretty well known that we will go to P39 school at Victoriaville Calif and then to gunnery or vice versa.  However it makes little difference to me other than the AT6 will not be so much fun after the P39.

I bought a pair of dark glasses the other day and they started me to thinking.  You know Air Corp pilots are a rather exclusive bunch with their natty uniforms, crushed hats and swagger.  Of course they have wings but they also wear, almost to the last man, a pair of dark glasses.  I think if you see any or many pilots you would see what I mean.  You know if you are told you are the best long enough you begin to believe it and even truly you begin to show it both in appearance and action.
My buddy has finished his voting so I will have to close my letter and see what is going on.  I haven't written all that I could lately but have been enjoying newfound freedom.  I guess these little notes will have to do until I get something from you to write about (hint-hint)

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment