Thursday, August 28, 2014

August 28, 1944

Aug. 28, 1944

Dear Mother:

I don't have a lot to write but found these two pictures while I was rummaging around in my spare pockets and thought here was an excuse to write a lot and say nothing.

When I first went to Blaisdell's I met the fellow that is going to marry Betty.  He is a pretty good looking fellow and has a swell personality.  He is a P.F.C. teaching Link to the cadets at Williams Field.  He really is a swell fellow.

From the picture you don't get a very good picture of the state.  There is more trees and grass shown than there is on many sq miles of the state.  However the pictures were good and you may get an idea of what I look like in my cadet days.  You may notice something on my right hand pocket which is not a pen clip but a ribbon fastened with a pin.  I got it at a Sadie Hawkins Dance.  I had a lot of fun at that dance which is one thing they have a lot of around here.  I don't know what I could tell you more about the picture except that they were taken in the driveway towards the field and taken with a 620 camera.

Now I want you to be sure to give Fred one of the pictures of me which you have at home because I am about to send him one of these.  Don't forget please because I promised him and my word will be mud if you don't.

Very little has happened lately.  We have formations at 9AM and 3PM and that is all.  All the rest of the day we do as we please.  I am getting lots of extra sleep and sunshine by the swimming pool.  Life is pretty easy.

Can you send me Ralph's address.  I would like to write to him if it can be arranged.  Please get it and send it in the next letter.

When you get that box together you can send it.  I have 2 more pair of shorts but send along at least 3 more because mine are going to pieces fast.  If you want those woolen socks to mend I will send them along.  You can buy some of that powder off Mr. Weeks and send that too.

There is nothing new about our assignment except that it is still very indefinite and that someday I may have to fold myself up into the smallest plane in the A.C., the P39.  I am looking forward to it.  It will be the training all of us have been waiting for.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment