Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November 19, 1943 (2)

   Dear (oh well I started now!) Nov. 19,

Esther:

What a mistake!  My mind must be wandering terribly.  I am thinking about what I shall do my first night out.  Shall I go to Los Angeles and see the town?  Shall I go to San Diego and see Don Towse?  Shall I go see mother's cousin in Hollywood?  Well I don't really know just what to do.  I might go see one of Pop's relatives in Onterio (or something).  Why didn't Pop tell me about his relatives rather than Aunt Emma?  Really what would you do?

It really is about time that I thanked you for the box that came the day before yesterday.  The sweater was quite a surprise and a very pleasant one at that.  My friend from Belmont asked me who made it "my mother".  When I said it was my sister he was really surprised that sisters did such things.  Evidently in his home his mother does all the favors and the sisters are little or big pests as the case may be.  It really is the thing I need because the cold weather is setting in and the sweater looks heavy and wooly.  There is only one catch.  I can't wear it outside so everyone can see it because G.I. clothes only are worn in plain sight or for any formation.  It looks like I can wear it under my blouse.  I am sure your handwork will be put to a good purpose even though I won't be able to show it off.

The candy was a surprise also.  As I stood admiring the sweater I didn't realize that there was more in the box.  Not until I lifted it out to put it on did the kisses fall out and in the scramble that followed I got 3 pieces of fudge and a couple of kisses.  They sure went fast.  The fudge reminded me of the nights after you got paid with me around helping you eat your box of Sullivan Sq. candy.  It really was good.  I shouldn't have opened the box just before supper.  When these fellows are hungry nothing from home in the way of eats can satisfy them.

You can tell Pop that I passed my first code check but just barely passed it.  It was called a 4 word check.  20 letters a minute in 2 weeks.  It is a check to see that everyone is progressing in one of the hardest subjects we have.  Next we work on 6 words a minute until we can receive 12 to 14 a minute and then we can graduate without worrying. Code in it's self is not too tough it is just certain letters that screw up the works.  I have trouble remembering W and V and U and K.  I can do the rest all right.

Things are running along pretty smoothly and my worries are few except for the ever present little "demerits".  Down here you get gigged but each gig may have attached 3 or 4 demerits so you have to stay on the ball.  So far I have been fortunate as I have had only 5 demerits since I have been here.  I found out what they wanted and did what was wanted so the Sqn. Commander is happy and I don't get gigged.  Some fellows have tours and plenty of them.  One fellow has 24 tours and he is happy because he can get out in 3 weeks.  Well I find it easier to keep a good record and have my overnight passes.  By the way we have the best under classman pre-flight group.  We have the best commander.  We have the best everything.  We are "On the Ball."

Well I don't know what to write except that the further I go in this business the better I like it.  I have picked out the plane I want to fly.  It is the A-20A Boston Bomber.  Get William to show you one. 
A-20A Boston

 It is a plane that has one pilot, a Bombigator and a couple of crew men.  As I am too large for pursuit flying this is the one for me.  Oh well that is a long time off.  If the Sqn. keeps up the way it is I will have a good chance to fly it as the best Sqns to get wing get to fly what they want.

With Love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment