Friday, November 1, 2013

November 1, 1943


Nov. 1, 1943
Dear Mother,
            I just had to hurry this letter a long because I got so much from home today and home is very much on my mind.  First I got the box and was very happy when I saw the candy and cookies within.  There may be more but I haven’t been able to get down beneath the cards, candy and cookies because if you made it known that you have food from home it didn’t take long for the news to get around.  It would be rather hard for one person to send all the stuff these guys could eat.  I liked the box very much.
            I also got the two Independents you sent and the first thing that drew my attention was the death of Seymour Soy.  Of course you had written about it but when the fellows around me saw the notice they began to think how close that comes to them.  Of course it couldn’t happen here, but even then we get to see the possibilities if extreme caution is not used.  The air is still safe and the place for me is above the clouds where I can see what goes on all around me.  That’s one trouble with the flying done at the colleges, it is done at too low an altitude and safety precautions are not much good when you have only 500’ between you and the ground.  Precision flying is what they want but precision at 500’ is not the safest.
            I also got your letter and enjoyed it very much even though it was short.  I am glad to hear that Mary has got a watch and I wish I could say the same.  As a matter of fact I am going to be paid again and all ready have too much money on me.  What would you suggest was the best way for me to get it home.  I have close to 75 dollars here and I want to get rid of it in a hurry. My next pay day will add $67.50 more to it.  I want to spend some for a watch but I can’t seem to get there when the watches are for sale and you can bet the few they get here are snapped up in a hurry.  I am a little cautious about buying such things and as a result may never get a time piece.
            I like getting the Stoneham paper each week and look forward to it even thought the news is close to a week old.  It really is one of the highlights of my week.  The paper takes all precedence over my reading.  By the way could you send the Herald more often (maybe once a week).  I would like to see it more often.  I really miss “Terry and the Pirates” and “Smiling Jack”.  Tell me just what are you suppose to write on those cards?  They seem much too nice to just write short messages on.

Terry and the Pirates tv show clip.  Enjoy the cheese!



Drama with Smilin'Jack           
            The day after tomorrow will be moving day again.  Wednesday we really go to work.  We will go to Pre-flight and it is this that I have waited 5 months for.  I am now going to get started on the job of flying.  We are going to study aircraft in all its fazes, code, and other connected subjects.  However don’t stop writing because the mail will come to the same post office and the same fellow will sort our mail and it will get to us as usual.
            I would like to send something home to everyone and there is a lot of stuff I could send home. There is all kinds of air corp stuff you could wear, bracelets, rings, insignia of all sorts etc.
            I am now reading Pocket Books.  I have read about a dozen now and I have a well stocked library here. I must do something with them but I don’t know if you could read them or not.  I enjoy most of them very much.
            By the way how to you spell Aunt Emma’s last name?  Ntecerous?  That is how I spell it but I don’t know if that is correct.  I rather hesitate writing to often when I don’t know how to spell right.  I most close now, so.
With love
Austin.




No comments:

Post a Comment