Friday, November 15, 2013

November 15, 1943

Nov. 15, 1943

I have just finished debating whether I should do my homework now and go out to the movies tonight and I have a good chance of flunking a test tomorrow or stay in and write this letter and study tonight and pass the test tomorrow.  I have decided that the letter choice is the better So;

Dear Mother:

We have a little time off now before evening chow because most of the cadets are over seeing Joe Louis and the rest of us have free time.  I guess the letter should be written because I owe more than one to you all by now.

See Brown Bomber Joe at 1:00.

I have gotten those 2 packages you sent.  I would not advise you to try to feed all my friends because when boxes come the friends multiply to unheard of numbers.  If I can keep it out of sight I can be sure of keeping the contents between 6 or 8 of us.  The Independent came regularly for 3 weeks and I haven't got any since I got to pre-flight.  I guess it will catch up with me.

I read the article in the Saturday Even. Post and thought it was very interesting.  The test that fellow took was one to determine the altitude a fellow is qualified to fly at.  None of us will take such a test until near the end of our training days.  He told about the bends coming on slowly after an hour or so at 38000'.  This is the height that we went too but stayed for only a very short time.  The article was on a whole very much like what I would have told if I had written it.

I am very glad that Mary likes her job and glad to hear that she got her promotion.  I haven't heard much about her "night school" work.  I wish she didn't have to go to school nights.  I should think that she would find it very tiring.  I wouldn't want to do it.  She seems to be the one that is really working for an education.  Tell her to send along something she has done.  I would like to see it.

So you got a map of the camp.  Well that is more than I have because such things are restricted around here.  Each day we get confidential information which we are not supposed to pass on.  However a map of this camp for those in the camp can not be too dangerous if they are handing them out to the parents of the cadets.

I am glad to hear that Ralph has passed his exams for Air Crew training.  It is just the thing for him and I am sure he can take the rugged life that my be before him.

You are getting to be a airplane spotter.  The P38 really whistle when it comes down.  The other day one dived on the P.T. field.  It really screamed and when it pulled out a black trace was left behind that came from the wing tips but immediately disappeared.  It looked like smoke and I thought something had happened.  The explanation seems to be that is pullouts at high speed the air over the wing tips becomes so jumbled up that it can be seen.  Maybe William can tell you what happens.  I really don't know myself.  I have a very good airplane spotters guide here and I will send it along when I get to the post office.

Can you go in an Army-Navy store and get me something?  What I need can't be purchased anywhere on the camp.  They are the little






that go on an officers uniform.  Get the real brass ones that can be polished and get at least 3 pairs.  They will probably cost you 2 dollars but don't let that bother you.  They are worth a lot more than that to me.  Be sure you get the officers and not the enlisted man's badge that look like this:
  They are not what I want and I can not wear them any longer.  I hope I haven't confused you by drawing the enlisted men's set.  They are worth their weight in gold around here.

I am sending a "Cadet Patch" along which you or any one can sew on an old coat or something.  It is from some the fellows threw way because they are the wrong size and color.  Ours are blue and orange.
Now what do I think about Christmas presents.  Well right now you could get me a nice furlough and a plane ride home for Christmas and I will be satisfied.  That is just a dream  I have very few needs as you can well guess.  My clothing needs are well taken care of an it would take a couple of barrels of food to feed my friends.  Those insignia would be a good present.  What can I send home?  That seems to be the real problem.

Well I have spent enough time for a while.  How is the weather at home.  It is very foggy in the morning an hot afternoons here.  I will write soon I hope.

. _ _  ..  _  ....      . _..  _ _ _ ..._  .

Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment