Thursday, December 4, 2014

December 4, 1944

Roswell Field
Dec. 4, 1944

Dear Mother:

I am going to make a stab at writing a letter but I have very little to write.  Nothing much has happened of late due to the bad weather which is keeping us pretty close to "home".  I didn't get to fly last night as I should have and so still have my 3 hours to get in.  We were just released from the flight line because of the weather and so have nothing to do.

I have been reading a few books lately partly due to a clipping Mary sent last month.  I have read "Damned to Glory" by Col. Scott.  It is a very good book but not as easy to read or as good reading as his other book "God is My Co-Pilot."













It is a series of short stories about the P40 as it has been used in the war.  The book seems to lack the personal touch he gave to his first one.  However it is very interesting reading and I will send it home soon.  I have also read "The Best of American Humor" compiled by Joseph Lewis French.  Some of the stories are really funny, others are humorous and others are a little too old and too hard reading for me.  Some of the authors are Cobb, Herford, Mark Twain, Eugene Field, Leacock, "Bob" Benchly, etc.  I got quite a kick out of the more recent authors but the humor of some of the others seemed slightly passe.  Anyway I have only read what looked good and passed the rest by.

I hope you are not too hasty sending any Christmas packages because I have hopes of getting home.  However if I don't get home and they come late I will probably wish you had sent them.  Our training here is really over and we are just waiting orders to report for the next phase of training.  Usually you get 15 days leave when leaving here which would mean a trip home.  We may get the 15 days tomorrow or next week or just stay here till next month some time before shipping.  In any event we are pretty sure of the leave some time.  We all hope it will be during Christmas but the Army doesn't care too much about our hopes.  However I would rather have Christmas at home and have it late or early rather than have it here and then go home.  Maybe I am wrong about it all.

We have quite a lot of training yet to go.  If we get sent to Lincoln Neb. which is the usual place we have 3 more phases to go through in training the crew.  You see we know very little about a crew and the crew knows nothing about its B17.  Most of them have just come out of Army Tech schools and have not yet had a chance to practice what they have learned.  Not only must we break in a crew but must teach a co-pilot the B17 inside and out.  If I am the first pilot as I have trained to be I will have to teach the co-pilot all that I know about the B17.  He may be some dumb single engine man or a B26 pilot who is disappointed with his assignment.  All this takes from 9 to 12 weeks which is not too long a time.  Well we will worry about that when we get there.

It looks like that pooch is getting to be 28 lbs of dynamite and a bit hard to handle.  Even though you write as if you were disgusted at times with her I guess you have more fun than anyone.  I think you get more of a kick out of her than anyone.  Who can tell, maybe someday you will get to tolerate her unusual antics.

Well my little note has turned into 3 pages so I guess I shall have to save something for tomorrow.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment