Thursday, April 2, 2015

April 2, 1945

April 2, 1945

Dear Mother:

This is going to be just a short note because I have got to get some sleep before flying the first mission.  It is now 1900 and I can get 8 hours sleep if I go to bed now so every minute I write is one minutes sleep lost.

We had a rather uneventful week end.  We were supposed to fly but the weather got rather bad and no one got off.  Of course it was Easter Sunday and I had to go to church but decided to go at night rather than waste all that sleep getting up early.  As it was I got 12 hours of sleep and to church in the same day.  I went to the Baptist Church because I know some of the people there and don't know any in the other church.  I guess it doesn't matter a great deal where I go.  As it turns out we usually go to the largest church in town because they have more doing at night and the minister and services are always better, you know just shop around for the best in the Air Corp.

Anyway they had a wonderful musical service and I enjoyed it a great deal. After church is Fellowship where you meet all the young people of the church, and those about my age, mostly girls, some deal.  We go to some house and have a bang up time playing cards, dominoes, or what have you.  They have refreshments and all good things to eat.  I rather look forward to these Sundays because they are a lot of fun and relaxation.

I suppose you wonder what we do all day long, well things are rather rushed and the schedule has few loop holes.  We do get an hour out for dinner in between 8 hours of scheduled classes besides 1 hour of orientation.  It gets to be a long day but most everything is interesting.  I fell to sleep in one class and almost fell out of the chair and then couldn't go to sleep again.  It was a "ditching" class so I hope we don't ditch in the ocean some day.  We had 3 hours of Aircraft Engines and Engineering and also a test in Airforce Air Regulations and some other classes but they weren't very interesting and I don't remember what they were.  We had an hour of P.T. which is rather rough.  We may get soft sitting in chairs all day but the last thing they do is toughen you up for another day.

Please send the clothes as soon as possible if not sooner.  I hope they have gone by the time you get this and if not please make a special effort because I will very soon need them.  What do you think of the idea of getting my summer blouse made into a battle jacket?

I guess I will get some letters about N.Y. in the next day or two.

I hope you can read this letter.
With love
Austin.

Musical selections from program
Prelude   "Easter Evening" - Faulkes
Hymn      "All Hail The Power"
Offeratory "Supplication" - Asper

Choir       "Rejoice the Lord is Risen"
                "Hosannah in the Highest"
                "O, Jerusalem"
                "Then They Took Jesus"
                "There is a Green Hill Far Away"  Organ Solo
                "Behold the Angel of the Lord"
                "Lift Up Your Voices"
                "Resurrection Bells"
                "An Easter Prayer"
                "Christ Is Risen"
                "Lo, I Am With You"
                "Lift Up Your Heads"
                "Thanks Be to God"

Postlude   "Alleluia"  - Mallory 

No comments:

Post a Comment