Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 8, 1944

Luke Field
Phoenix
July 8

Dear Mother:

I guess you haven't received any letters for some time and I hope you haven't worried but as usual the bad penny has turned up finally.

All last week we spent flying nights and sleeping and classes during the day.  Our schedule was pretty tight and I just couldn't bring myself to get up an hour early to do the important things.

Night flying consisted of cross countries and black out landings.  The x-countries were very easy but the landings were something else all together.  You have to feel for the ground and then have the plane in a 3 point attitude or any number of things can happen.  Out of the 2 sans flying we had no accidents and no students lost, a pretty good record.

Night x-coutries are a lot of fun.  They consisted mainly of flying towards a set of lights in an airway light line or following a predetermined heading.  The other night we ran into some low hanging clouds and I flew through a few.  It was rather against regulations but it was a lot of fun.  We also did a little night formation which was not scheduled.  Regulations don't mean too much here.  Single engine men are supposed to be a little cocky and so long as you are not caught violating rules nothing is said.  It is something like that old Greek myth about the boy who stole the fox and it killed him without him crying out because it was a shame to be caught stealing.  Of course they don't tolerate dangerous flying or flying that endangers civilians but as far as the army cares just bring that plane back in one piece.

Here is the schedule of last week.  It started at 1315 dinner.  1415 fall out for class 1630 till 1730 PT. We ate again at 1845 and went to the flight line at 1915.  We stayed there till 4:30 and then came home to be.  It is rather hard sleeping during the day when it is hot but I got used to it in a hurry.

I am now going over your last letter to see what I can write about.  Yes I sometimes wonder how it is possible for me to get where I am.  Each time I look at a plane I wonder can I fly that contraption with all its dials and gauges. Where did I get the ability to fly.  I almost bet I can't do it but when that engine starts and the instrument panel comes to life and the air begins to flow over the wings and tail there is no doubt if I can fly in my mind.  It seems so natural to fly.  It is so easy I wonder why so few do have the urge.

When I first hit the field I looked at what had to be accomplished before I got through.  With the completion of night flying I have finished almost everything.  I have about 20 more hours to go and if everything goes well I can get through them easily.

A Flight Officer is an officer in the Air Corp who has not lived up fully to the standards of a good cadet and therefore might not make a good officer.  Therefore he is given a rating one step before a 2nd Lt.  A fellow becomes a Ft. officer if he has had too many gigs, or poor ground school grades, poor flying grades, poor military discipline or for any of 12 different things upon which you are graded.  I hope I do not become one but one can never tell.  I have only had about 10 gigs in 2 months and no tours in 8 months.  My ground school grades are not too bad so I don't know what will happen.  I guess I will just have to sweat it out until the F.O. list is put up.

I was interested in the clipping you sent.  I want to see if any of the fellows I came in the Army with had gotten their wings.  I have found out from some of the fellows who kept contact with them that most of them are still in Basic and will not get to advance for another month.  Maybe I was lucky to come out here where they at least put us through an schedule even though they are washing out 1/4 of the class.  No one should get washed in Advanced but they are doing it here.

I wish you could be here when they pin the wings on.  However I shall save those wings and let you pin them on when I get home, if I do.  It is considered unlucky to wear those wings in the air so they will hold only sentimental value to me.

Graduation exercises at Luke Field are not what they are cracked up to be.  They are nothing like what you imagine or you have seen in the movies.  They start with a big parade and the parade was on the reviewing ground.  Here they have a large platform and at least 1000 chairs for the graduates and their parents.  Up on the platform are a dozen officers.  One gives you your wing the other your commission.  You salute one and shake the hand of the other.  As you leave the stand you get a set of gold bars or blue and gold bars if you are a flight officer. (You next pick out the prettiest girl in the crowd and kiss her and give a dollar to the 1st GI you salute).  There are not beautiful uniforms just plain suntan cloths.  I don't think I will get too much of a kick out of it.  I would much rather get home.  
I am going to write to Mary now.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment