Thursday, July 31, 2014

July 31, 1944

Luke Field
July 31, 1944

Dear Mother:

I received your rather short letter with Blaisdale's address last Friday and decided I would look them up today when in town.  However I was rather surprised to get a note telling me to call them from the post.  So I called and was invited out to their house today.  And did I have a good time!!!

You can't imagine how it is to be about 2700 miles from home and find that you are home after just a short ride.  As they may write their house is rather small but is very comfortable.  I can imagine it was not much before they got it but it is rather nice now.  I don't know how they are maintaining themselves but they seem to do alright.  They live on a farm and have a horse, cow, and some chickens.

They made everything so nice for me.  This afternoon we went to a city park, "Encando Park" and went canoeing.  Mrs. B. doesn't get around too well now so she and the Mr. stayed at the car.  Irma, the other sister and her boyfriend and I had quite a time paddling around.  The pond is man-made of course but it is not very hot there.  Irma is really growing up but still raises a rumpus everywhere she goes.  I thought she would turn over the canoe a couple of times.  The park is very popular and I met quite a number of people I knew from the post.  They gave me a ride back to the post and really finished the afternoon right.  They took some pictures which may and may not come out so tell me as soon as you receive them.
Encanto Park

Well now is the first time that I think I may have made it.  All the confidence you all have had was not reflected in me.  I have sweated out each stage in its turn and each time you have thought of me as an officer I have seen myself as a Pvt. again.  I have never had any doubt that I would sometime "wash" but deep down in my heart I have hoped beyond hope that some day I would wear those gold bars and wings.  Now I think those dreams will come true.  Maybe I have the stuff to make a success out of things after all.  I have been put to the test for a year or more and have succeeded at something for the first time in life.  For once I have picked my goal and made it.  For once I have made better than average grades along the way.  For the first time I have found something around which I can build my life or my preoccupation.  For once I have succeeded when many others have failed.  In the future I think I will be proud of my cadet days, I will be proud that I was a member of this greatest army in the world. 

Now about coming home.  I have made reservations to fly home and have money for one way.  If I do get home I will have to draw money out of the bank to get back.  I can join the 300 club which means I will start off 300 dollars in the hole.  I would rather owe the family the money rather than some bank.  Everything is very indefinite as to the amount of leave I will get and I may get none at all so I will send a telegram if things begin to pop.  Maybe I will see everyone in 7 or 8 days.  What do you think of that?

I still haven't written to the other members of the family for some time and they may be getting impatient but you cool them off because I should have a little time this week.  By the way I have a copy of John Homer Miller's book "Take a Look at Yourself" loaned to me by the Blaisdales.  I have started it and expect to finish it this week also.  In fact I expect to catch up on my reading and letter writing.

I think I shall now go down to the P.X. and get something cold to drink.  It is rather hot even yet and a milkshake would go well.  I will close now in anticipation of a letter tomorrow.  It had better be there.

With love
Austin
2nd Lt A.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment