Friday, July 25, 2014

July 25, 1944

Luke Field
Phoenix Ariz.
July 25, 1944

Dear Mother;

I haven't much to write but have the spare time so I guess I can find the words.  We have 1 free period today so that explains the time on my hands.

By the way the feathers are still all over the place.  Every time I sweep up I find a new mess of them. The morning after the pillow broke on the ventilator we had to sweep with wet brooms and the barracks smelt like a chicken picking house.  Those wet feathers didn't smell too good.  I guess that's why the "tack" officers didn't come in that day.


Sunday morning I went into town to buy some more clothes.  I spent another hundred dollars but have all I will need for some time to come.  I still have to buy 2 bags and will then be done.  In all I guess this outfitting will take all of my $250 clothing allowance.  I guess I will be well dressed.  I will have clothes for some time to come.

I also went to the airport to see about flying home.  It will cost $150 one way and I have the money to get home but not back.  It seems like a lot of money to spend all at once.  Train fare is about the same but too slow.  I wouldn't consider a train anyway.  

As I wrote before I may not get home after graduation because I may be immediately be assigned to another station with 2 or 3 days delay in route.  If I come back to this post I will get 15 days which would be swell.  That would mean I would eventually be an instructor which I don't like too much.  I guess things will even up on the end.

I have some of my uniforms already here and tried on.  It is just like Christmas all over again.  You just tear open packages to see what you have.  I am well satisfied with what I got. (Someone just brought in another load and I have two more boxes.)  I will have to close this letter and get into my new boxes.  I should have some gabardines.  This is really Christmas only we have the presents and buy them too.

I am coming home with gold bars you know if I get through one more landing.

I must write to William as soon as I can.  I hope he has got back to work by now.  

I am beginning to wonder what I have in the boxes.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment