Wednesday, February 12, 2014

February 12, 1944

Tucson Ariz.
Feb. 12, 1944









Dear Mother:

I guess I never wrote from a U.S.O. before but while I wait for my friend form Kentucky I use the paper and ink provided for such occasions.  This is the second trip to the town and I hope I do not get as disgusted as I did before.  I guess I can have some fun if I look around for it.

I flew 2 hours today and got in an hour and 5 minutes of "Link" trainer so I am rather tired.  The "Link" is the harder of the two because it requires much close study and the little dials on the instrument panel are not too interesting.  Today I did precision turns maintaining air speed and altitude.  The turn is made with a gyrocompass because a magnetic compass is not too reliable.  If you can maintain a special type of turn called a "needle width turn" you can make a perfect circle.  However if you vary the turn the slightest it does not come out right, the way you like to have them.  The instructor in charge said I maintained my speed and altitude very well.

You know you get some very peculiar sensations while flying "blind".  When you have the cover down, as it is most of the time, you often feel that you are climbing when you are gliding and turning after you have stopped.  As you have no visual reference points pressure means a lot.  When you stop a  turn you feel like you are starting one the other way.  This must be rather boring to you because you don't know enough about the subject.

I have 28 hours of flying now but I am still a long way from being a "hot pilot".  Even so I am working up to the point where the time is beginning to count.  I have enough time for a solo pilots license and soon (at 35 hours) I can get a private pilots license.  After that you can carry passengers with you so maybe after I get home you all may get some free rides.

It is time for me to get a few check rides but each time I get cheated out of them some how or other.  I wish I could get them over because then I could start on something else.  It is getting bearably boring to go up and do stalls, spins, 'S' turns, figure 8's, and the like every day.  I have been doing them solo for the last 12 hours and although I don't have them down perfect I am coming along.  

Next I shall learn how to do chandelles, lazy 8's, pilon 8's, loops, snap rolls, slow rolls, etc.  These are acrobatics and will be a lot of fun.

You would be surprised at the caution they use around here.  I guess the Army wants all the pilots they can get but they want careful pilots rather than hap-hazard H.P.'s.  Before you can go up alone you must be able to recover from a spin or most any other position the instructor can put you in and they really know a lot of them.

I have got both of the boxes that were sent.  Esther's other came the 10th.  I opened them both when not too many were around and still have some cookies left.  I will finish them when I get back to the post.  Have my war bonds been coming through?  If not please write as soon as possible so that I can get the situation clarified on this end.  It seems they have had a lot of trouble in Chicago where they are shipped form and if I am behind too many I can get them sent home a lost at once.

I hope Grandpa is getting better.  He seems to have come through an awful lot in all his years.  He is such a grand person I could really enjoy coming home to see him.  As far as that goes who here in this U.S.O. would not love to come home.  This is rather a poor substitute for home.

I guess I am getting to write a book here but as long as my friend doesn't show up I guess I can continue to write.

As long as Esther is going to read this letter I can thank her for the candy.  What I got of it was really swell and I can guess just where you got it.  That doesn't detract form it's taste does it.  It sure is swell to get such things from home.  You can't guess how much they are appreciated.

Those cookies sure are good too.  They were somewhat of a surprise.  I expect a small box but that is a little on the larger size.  They are packed so close there are a lot of them in a small place. (as I look at what I have done I guess I have written a book)

If I can ever get around to it I will send home a box that ought to interest every body but you especially.  I won't tell you what it is but I will get it off as soon as possible.

I am going to get my name and serial number; and address engraved on my watch so that if anything happens to it I have a chance of getting it back.

Also if anything happens to me they will have some means of identification other than my "dog tags".  It's such a swell watch I would hate to have anything happen to it.  Do you think I ought o have it cleaned oftener than is prescribed because of the dust we have out here.  I can see traces inside already.

Well I will close now because my friend is here.  His name is Charles E Rowland.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment