Wednesday, September 25, 2013

September 25, 1943

Beloit College
Beloit Wis.
Sept. 25, 1943

Dear Mother,

I just got your letter and the box.  What a wonderful surprise.  The first thing I see in the box is the layer of cookies.  As yet I haven't got below that.  Your letters are also very interesting because they give the latest developments.

Today I finished all the flying that is given to the C.T.D.s.  I am glad it is over because it is a strain on the nerves and physically tiring.  I have lost about 7 lbs while flying and many hours of sleep that I could easily do with.  But yet I am not in such poor condition.  I still weigh a lot more than when I entered the army.

Flying was a lot of fun but don't give anyone the idea that is just like play.  It is really hard work. After one flight of 45 minutes I always feel like a good nap and the day that I had two flights was a bad day.  On the 2nd flight I just wasn't "on the ball".  My reactions were too slow and the plane got ahead of me.  I tried to do stalls and spins but just couldn't make the plane work for me.  I did the right thing at the wrong time.

Yesterday I was really the "hot pilot".  I did forced landings and made several perfect ones.  The landings at the airport were very good in fact they were the best the instructor had seen in some time, not a bounce or a bound.  It would have broken an egg if they had been all over the plane.

Today I had one flight and a check flight which finished one up.  As usual I got tense in the test and didn't do too good.  I do know however that I passed and have been recommended to go on in my air training if I pass classification.

I haven't said much but we are going to leave Beloit Oct 2 or 3.  Just a week or so from now.  We are going to Santa Ana and will be there from 3 weeks to 8, no one knows.  You had better send a list of my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cousins along so I can get in touch with them out there.  You had better send me some information on how I shall address them.  It will be funny if I write "Dear 3rd cousin" when she may be "Dear 5th cousin".

I just dug down in the box some more.  The first thing I see is the jelly from our own vines.  What a treat.  "Jerry" Pozen my roommate still thinks I am a "hick".

It's too bad you wrote about the girls especially on the night of our Graduation Dance.  I have been all dated up and we are going to get "hip" tonight.  Oh well!  I guess I can have some fun tonight and it won't effect me too much.  The girls name is Barbara Burling.  I will write all about her tomorrow.
 (Note: The space I give to flying and "the girl".)

I think it is about time I send along the pictures I took while here.  There are not too many but you can get an idea what I look like from them.  There are also pictures of my roommate as well as the last boy from Mass. with me.  His name is Anthony Toschs and is from some town just outside of Boston.









Please wish many happy returns to Mary for me even though it is rather late.  I wanted to send her a present but didn't know what to send.  Anyway I was thinking of her on the 23rd.  I hope she enjoys her job as much as I enjoy mine.

Those hats (caps) you see are not G.I. but you buy if you post commander allows you to.  If I get around to it I will answer all the rest of your questions later.

Love
Austin the hot Pilot

(I guess we know where all that art talent in the family comes from.)

No comments:

Post a Comment