Friday, May 9, 2014

May 9, 1944

May 9, 1944

Dear Mother:

I don't have much time to write because the schedule is pretty tight.  We are now flying nights and having a lot of fun.  This will probably be the only letter you will get for a couple of days.

Last week I hit my watch on the throttle quadrant and later the crystal cracked and then completely split.  Yesterday the watch completely stopped when I was reading your last letter.  Maybe the shock of getting a letter after not writing for so long.  I will send the watch and everything as soon as I get time.

I have had some pictures taken and have a class book or two that will come under another cover.  We are scheduled to move again in several weeks so I guess I should start thinking of what I will send home and what I should throw away.  I have a lot of letters which I don't know what to do with.  I guess I will look them over then burn them I guess. 

It sure is a swell flying nights.  It is more of less instrument work watching altitude and airspeed most of the time.  Lights aren't too good land marks and they move.  You just have to judge how you are heading by looking at several lights and see how you are heading.  Landings are a little more difficult but can be made better because the wind is either nil or steady.  Up and down drafts don't bother because there is nothing to start them.  I soloed out the first night and had quite a time all alone.  Airspeed is one of the most important things at night.  You have a florescent light to light the panel instruments an they really look pretty glowing at you. 

The weather out here has taken a change for the better.  Even though we are on a desert it hasn't got too warm yet.  I guess in a month it is really going to be uncomfortable.

(Just back from the flight line.)

I won't try to continue where I left off last.  I can't remember what was going on.  I have about 1/2 hour to finish this letter.

I am going to fly the 2nd shift tonight.  We go to a auxiliary field that has power lines over the road just before the landing strip.  The way to get in is to keep one eye on the air speed, one eye on the altimeter and reach out and feel for the wires.  It really isn't that bad, I guess I am just trying to get you excited.  It is a safe night flying field or they would not use it.  They don't want accidents anymore than we do.
From the BBC

I really get quite a kick out of night flying.  We only get 6 hours of it and after tonight I will have 2/3's of it.  It is a swell feeling to see the little flare pots blinking and know that you can come down between them safely.  You know you are flying in these vast black space with the only contact with the earth broken, the moon looks like a big plate with florescent paint, and the dials just glow and keep telling just what you want to know.  You really feel free when you lose contact with the earth, much more so than during the day when you can still see the ground.

A couple of fellows have just come in with the report that I have been made a Flt Sgt.  It isn't much of a job but is a pain in the neck.  I suppose it will be good for me.

I guess I never told you what subjects we are no having.  They are meteorology, navigation, code and aircraft recognition.  We are taking a final in meteorology tomorrow in which we will have to predict weather given a common every day water report.  When I get home I will be able to tell what the weather will be because of the course here.  When I get to be a civilian I will know when and when not to wear my rubbers.  I am really going to put my army training to something.

I must get to chow now.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment