Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 15, 1943

Beloit College
Beloit Wis.
Aug. 15, 1943

Dear A.P.

This is Sunday again and I thought I would dash off another letter before I go on "open post." This week end is the first time that I have been officially out and I am going to make the most of it.  

Last week I had to walk off tours.  That was because I received 13 gigs.  Whether I explained this or not the system is that if you step out of line a little, like looking at the ground when in formation, or wavering your eyes while in formation you get what is called a gig.  If they find dirt on your bed or on your chair or desk or anywhere in your room you get a gig.  Of all my gigs that week I got 11 in one day and only 2 the rest of the week.  I got 11 on the first inspection because we didn't know how to hang clothes, fix our chairs etc.  You can bet we found out after that.  You can bet that don't happen again.

One fellow here Hoboken N.J. Has 51 tours to walk off before he gets out on open post.  He will probably spend 8 weeks at it if he walks the maximum each week.  As for me, I am going to spend my week ends in Beloit.

It says in the "student bible" that there will be no hazing at any time but you can bet that can be gotten around.  It isn't hazing here; it is discipline and we get a lot of it; not so much from the upper class men as from student officers.  They really get tough and know how to make you wish you never thought of joining the Air Corp.  Last week we did very poorly in a retreat parade. Although it was not our fault but more the fault of the officers you can bet we got it in the neck.  They really tightened up on us and handed out gigs left and right.  We had some pretty stiff drill along with it but now we are the best outfit on the campus.  Even the older fellows can't make a showing the way we do.

We have had our pay day and on that day I received $38.95.  It was a lot of money and I know I can never spend it even if I wanted to.  There are a few things I need in town and I plan to get them.  I am going to buy a wrist-watch and try to get an American movement as Mother suggested.  I am also going to get a pair of good dress shoes.  That is about all I need or will need for some time.  The watch is really needed because everything around here is done on schedule and the shoes are something that will help keep up my morale.

We have quite a day here compared with the life of a student at B.U.  I get up at any time between 5:00 and 6:00 according to the amount of work I have to get done.  Revielle is at 6:15 and early chow at 6:30, late chow at 7:00.  We go to early chow so that I don't have to shave before breakfast but you must have a good shoe shine and neat general appearance.  After chow we have until 8 o'clock to do all our work around the room, shave and perform special details like cleaning the bathrooms, the halls, the dayroom and such things, and get to first class.  We usually start a day by a period of Physics or 2 periods of Physics lab.  We then have English or math according to what day it is.  This is usually followed by a period of Geography or History.  It turns out to be 4 periods a morning with history one morning and Geography the next; English one morning and Physics lab the next.  We always get back for noon chow about 5 minutes late so that means we get no time to clean up for the shave inspection we get at noon instead of the morning.  After noon chow we wait for 1/2 hour to go to P.T.  The wait is because the other half of the group is eating.  From 1300 to 1500 is P.T.; from 1500 to 1600 is supervised study and from 1600 to 1700 is drill.  At 1700 we go to chow again and have until 2000 to do what we want which means shine shoes and prepare for the next day.  At 2000 we study and this is really tough because you have to prepare 3 to 4 subjects homework in 2 hours.  At 2200 we get ready for bed and at 2230 lights are out.  I didn't think many go to bed right then but most are in for a bed check 10 minutes later.

This is too good a description of my day but it does give the time order of things and you can get an idea of just what the tax payers are paying for.  It is really a great life and even thought it is hard to do a lot of things and have them done on time a lot I am learning will come in handy in the future.

Tell Ralph to join the Air Corp if he can make it.  Even if he don't think he can tell him to try anyway.  Remember I also didn't think I had what it takes.  If you are healthy and have half decent vision the army can take care of you.

Right now we are doing a lot of running during P.T.  We run the 1 1/2 miles and the mile until you can qualify.  I ran the 1 1/2 miles in 9:55 minutes which is not too bad considering it was the first time I ever ran that far.  I made it way under the qualifying time so I don't have to run it anymore.  The qualifying time is 10:40 minutes.  I also qualified in the mile run by running it in 6:18 with a qualifying time of 6:40.  I did the mile after playing a good game of basketball and was all tired out.  we had about 5 minutes to rest before starting.  My legs hurt all the way but my wind held out pretty well.  When I get home I'll be a physical specimen.

If you could use the rifle you can.  I don't know where the cartridges for it are but they were in my drawer when I left.  Maybe Mother found them and hid them  or maybe William has them.  I am sure I can't use them.  I would rather shoot a carbine or a Garavel like I had at J.B.

Well I guess I have written enough.  I am inclosing a card I got from Stoneham.  You might get a kick out of it.  Everyone I read it to thought it was quite a joke.  "We hope you like army life."  Oh well I suppose it was sent in the best of faith and should be treated so.  Still the fellows got quite a kick out of my description of the dear miss that sent it.

Tell Mary to write and tell me about her job.  I am really interested to hear about it.

With love
Austin

A.C. (Air Crew)

No comments:

Post a Comment