Sunday, August 11, 2013

August 11, 1943

Beloit College
Beloit, Wis
Aug 11, 1943

Dear Mother;

I received the (package?) yesterday and it was swell.  It was a real surprise as was its contents.  I had no idea what you would send other than a hint that you had put in your letters.  The cookies were a little broken but they were enjoyed (amencly) (can't spell it)  very much.  I have hid the peanuts and the candy and will eat it them at a future date.  The hangers came in very handy.  There were only 2 too many but they are easy to get rid of as very few have all they want.  Thank Pop especially for the shaving cream.  It was just what I wanted just in time as I ran out today and will start on the fresh tube tomorrow.  (Darn it, I threw the old tube away).

I rather suspected that Herb would go in the Navy soon.  I can see how the mothers feel but I hope you don't worry too much.  I am the one that should be worrying not you.  I really have something to think about all day and your happiness or lack of happiness depends upon the whims of a 2nd Lieut. and a few upper classmen.  Of course I miss home and a good soft bed but I have got over the feeling that you need a good bed to sleep in.  In fact I sleep on 3 folded comforters and the springs.  No covers and no pillow.  You can really rest.  Herb will like the Navy even though the change form civilian life to Navy life is very marked.  Most everyone likes the services or at least can endure them because the discipline is tough enough so that you want to do better than the next flight squadron, or section.  Then of course you see so many others in the same boat.

This picture is of Eugene Gerberg, charged with eradicating bedbugs at Camp Lee, VA.
Good thing Grandpa didn't live there!

As for getting all these things before going in that is all right if you can get them but I think it makes the first days worse.  If you have memories of things you like that pop into your mind very often you will get homesick and that makes life miserable.  As for me, if I can get some gas and have some fun when I get home I will be satisfied.

Please give my fair "public" my best wishes.

Now that new item; that was strickly G.I.  Everyone was given a form that they filled out and it had all the particulars on it.  Parts of it may be false, I refer to the part on the 5 months.  We can be here no longer than 3 we are told.  That gives us time to get 10 weeks of college subjects and 4 weeks of flying and "first aid".  Please send that clipping along.  I would like to see it.  Some of the fellows have got theirs and I would like to see what mine looks like.
Announcement printed in the local newspaper.
What a good looking guy!

I was vaccinated up at J.B. but I don't know how it took.  It did redden up a little but I got no big scab or scar like I got on my first.  All I know is that I am ammuned now.  They say that it is supposed to be good on 7 or 9 years but in some they are vaccinated only once.

Now I get around to tell you about the Aviation Program as well as I know it.  Before March of this year you got your basic training at a pre-flight station now you get it first.  Before, you went to Classification first but now you go to basic first because too many "washed out" for unmilitary bearing.  Before too many also washed out at Classification because of insufficient school training.  Because the army had no facilities to train these men in college they had to make mechanics and air gunners of them.  College is just a place to ready one's self to a classification that will eventually place you in pilot, navigator, or bombardier.  College also takes the load off form pre-flight of taking all these rookies and making soldiers of them.  Also college is a place to condition men; too many men got to classification and failed because the were unable to pass physically.  Now they give a rugged program that is really a building program.  After pre-flight you have basic flight training, primary flight training, advance flight, and finally operation flight training.  That is the program to the best of my knowledge.

Did I ever tell you about the river we are near.  It is one of those smelly things that runs through about a dozen factory cities before it gets to what we see of it.  It runs over a dam and furnishes power for a factory across the river.  The bugs and mosquitoes just thrive in it.  Every night very small flying bugs come through the screen attracted by the light.  They strike the light and are killed and it is not longer before you have a noticeable pile of them.  This is the buggiest climate I have ever seen.  When on parade or attention it is very disconcerting to have a few land on your ear or face.



Well that's about all for now

Love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment