Thursday, April 10, 2014

April 10, 1944

War Eagle Field
Lancaster
April 10, 1944


Austin and Martin E. Roth of Tennessee

Dear Mother:

I got your last letter today that was post marked April 5.  It took 5 days to get here and I guess that is pretty good time.  You mentioned that I had neglected to write for some time and I guess that is the case. So I will reform.

Easter has come and past.  As we had to depend upon our own wits for our transportation I was on the way back Sunday when I should have been in church.  Transportation is rather difficult if you don't have anything scheduled.  We just stood by the side of the road and looked eager and we made very good time.  We came about 80 miles in 2 1/2 hours.  Part of the way was on a bus to San Fernando.  We rode all through the big Lockheed Vega plant on that bus.  We were not in a special hurry so we could enjoy looking at the camouflage and the B17's, P38s, C54's and C47's parked around.  We came the last 46 miles in a Ford with a sailor and we did that stretch in less than an hour.  We clocked him because he didn't have a speedometer and he was going about 55 m/h up and down those hills.  There are really hills too because the tops of some still have snow on them.

I suppose you wonder what I was doing to L.A.  Well I wished all the time that I had enough sense to stay at Lancaster where I belonged.  I went to a few movies and worried all through them.  Next time I will stay here and get sack time like I should.

I guess you have seen in Mary's letter that I thought that plane you see is a B29.  It could very easy be that they are training B29 crew all up and down the East Coast as the next move for them is over to Europe.  It seems to me that they will go over just before the invasion because their surprise will give them a terrific advantage which will help in what they are assigned.  If they go all of a sudden you can guess where they are off for.

They are getting very strict around here now.  The last class, 44F, lost about 50 men in one week for military reasons and flying ability.  That means that they are not so sorry to let go of men who are not quite up to standard.  They are just making it harder to get through.  After they have spent $10,000 on you like they have us they care about washing you out but if you are not behaving or don't care about flying any longer they no longer hesitate about washing you.

I really feel sorry for fellows in Ralph's boats because their Air Crew training is much more uncertain than mine.  All through the line now they are lengthening the course so that at present rate fellows just going in will have a two year training.  That is an awful long time to go to get a pair of wings.  They can be sure of never seeing the war.  That may be a good thing even so.

I got the box Saturday and was very surprised in what I found.  The fudge was swell and made quite a hit.  The sewing kit was what I have needed for a long time.  I have a few odds and ends I have collected and so it is very complete.  Thank you so much for seeing that I am so well cared for.  You would be surprised at how little these fellows get from home in the way of needed goods.  I am really well taken care of.  Must close to go to the flight line.

With love
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment